Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack recently announced the members of the Secretary’s Advisory Committee on Animal Health.
The committee will provide outside perspectives on U.S. Department of Agriculture strategies, policies and programs to prevent, control and/or eradicate animal health diseases, according to a USDA news release. The committee also will lead broader dialogue on public health concerns and the stability of the livestock economies, the release said.
The following individuals have been appointed to serve on the committee through June 2017:
- Dr. Michael J. Blackwell, a veterinarian and director of veterinary policy for the Humane Society of the United States from Tennessee
- Dr. Stephen Crawford, state veterinarian and deputy commissioner of agriculture from New Hampshire
- Dr. S. Peder Cuneo, extension specialist and assistant director of university animal care at University of Arizona from Arizona
- Ms. Glenda S. Davis, program manager for tribal veterinary services from Navajo Nation
- Dr. Mark J. Engle, technical services manager, swine business unit, for Merck Animal Health from Missouri
- Dr. David L. Fernandez, a sheep producer and extension livestock specialist from Arkansas
- Mr. Maximiliano A. Fernandez, a cattle and sheep producer and advocate from Washington
- Dr. John R. Fisher, director and professor of cooperative wildlife disease study at University of Georgia from Georgia
- Dr. Daniel L. Grooms, chairperson and professor of large animal clinical sciences at Michigan State University from Michigan
- Dr. Annette B. Jones, state veterinarian and director of animal health and food safety services from California
- Ms. Mary Ann Kniebel, rancher and feedlot nutritionist from Kansas
- Dr. John R. MacMillan, vice president of Clear Springs Foods, Idaho
- Ms. Judith I. McGeary, producer and attorney at law from Texas
- Dr. Willie M. Reed, dean of the college of veterinary medicine at Purdue University from Indiana
- Dr. G. Donald Ritter, veterinary director of health services for Mountaire Farms from Maryland
- Mr. Charles Rogers, chief executive officer for Clovis Livestock Auction from New Mexico
- Dr. David R. Smith, endowed professor and beef program leader at Mississippi State University from Mississippi
- Dr. Belinda Thompson, faculty, advisor and interim assistant executive director, animal health diagnostic center at Cornell University from New York
- Dr. Elizabeth K. Wagstrom, chief veterinarian for National Pork Producers Council from Minnesota
The committee’s next meeting will take place in the coming months.