Texas A&M University’s new $120 million Veterinary & Biomedical Education Complex will be formally opened Friday ( Nov. 11), celebrating the year-long observance of the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences’ (CVM) first century of service to the state and nation.
The grand opening of the new complex will begin at 1:30 p.m. and continue until 7 p.m. The grand opening highlights a year of celebration as the college celebrates its 100-year anniversary.
The event is free and open to the public, and will begin with appearances by the drummers of the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band, the Parsons Mounted Cavalry color guard and the Singing Cadets.
Remarks will follow by the honored guests, including U.S. Senator John Cornyn, State Senator Charles Schwertner, State Representative John Raney, Texas A&M System Regent Elaine Mendoza, Chancellor John Sharp, President Michael K. Young, Provost Karan Watson, Texas Veterinary Medical Association (TVMA) President Sam Miller and the Dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Dr. Eleanor M. Green. The event will conclude with a ribbon cutting and closing remarks.
Visitors will then have an opportunity to tour the facilities and see demonstrations of the college’s innovative work, transformative technology, and collaborative learning opportunities all taking place within the new complex.
The festivities will continue on Saturday, when the CVM and the TVMA host a tailgate beginning three hours before the Texas A&M vs. Ole Miss football game.
The new complex houses state-of-the-art classrooms, unique study spaces, communications suites, teaching laboratories, and more —all ideal learning environments for students, while providing opportunities for innovative teaching, collaboration and creativity.
The opening of the complex is part of Texas A&M’s long-standing tradition of expansion to meet the veterinary needs of Texas. In April 1888, the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Texas received a state appropriation of $2,500 for equipping and operating its Department of Veterinary Science. Two buildings were constructed for the department in this era: the chemistry and veterinary building in 1902 and the veterinary hospital in 1908.
In 1916, the School of Veterinary Medicine officially opened its doors with Dr. Mark Francis serving as the first dean. Two years later Francis Hall was built to house the growing school. The historic building – now in use by the College of Architecture – remains a campus fixture.