Mark Hardesty, DVM, was honored with the 2014 Bovine Practitioner of the Year Award sponsored by Boehringer Ingelheim at last week’s AABP Business Meeting and Awards Luncheon in Albuquerque, N.M.
Hardesty is with the Maria Stein Animal Clinic Inc., Maria Stein, Ohio, which is a multi-doctor, 60 percent dairy practice with clients ranging from 15 to 5,000 cows. He is a 1988 graduate of The Ohio State University and a past recipient of the Merial AABP Excellence in Preventive Medicine Award, Dairy. He is a successful business owner and a great mentor to students. He is known as an expert on milk quality, nutrition, reproduction, employee management, facility design and calf health. He also has been a speaker at AABP, as well as previously serving on the program committee.
Other awards given at the 2014 47th AABP Annual Conference in Albuquerque include:
Merial Excellence in Preventive Medicine award:
- Beef: Dr.Dan Goehl, Canton, Mo.
- Dairy: Dr. Nick Chuff, Ilion, N.Y.
Zoetis Distinguished Service Award:
- Dr. Jesse Goff, Ames, Iowa
AABP Award of Excellence:
- Dr. Hans Coetzee, Ames, Iowa
Merck Animal Health Mentor of the Year:
- Dr. John Fetrow, University of Minnesota
James A. Jarrett Award for Young Leaders:
- Dr. Callie Willingham, Chandler, Ariz.
2014 Foundation Competitive Research Grants
- Dr. Grant Dewell, Iowa State University
- Dr. Mike Collins, University of Wisconsin
2014 Graduate Student Awards
- 1st: Nichole Chapel, North Dakota State University
- 2nd: Liesel Schneider, Mississippi State
- 3rd: Sarah Holland, VA-MD
2014 Student Case Competition (Clinical):
- 1st: Eleas Weimer, Auburn University
- 2nd:Leslie Wagner, Texas A&M
2014 Student Case Competition (Research):
- 1st: Megan Thompson, University of Minnesota
- 2nd: Alex Beck, Washington State University