Geni Wren Acclimating new cattle the feedlot takes good management and animal husbandry skills.
Carter King, DVM, offers these suggestions for helping new cattle get off to a good start:
- Train your employees on what low stress handling is, how to implement, and the importance of it
- Evaluate cattle for attitude/disposition characteristics in addition to health
- Handle cattle slow and easy through receiving and processing
- Work with cattle on foot for the first few days to gain trust, if possible
- Pen timid cattle in low traffic areas if possible
- Communicate with other departments (i.e. feed delivery, maintenance) on requirements of cattle
See the full article on helping new feedlot cattle adapt here.