The KC Animal Health Investment Forum gathered investors earlier this week to observe 13 presenting companies and encourage the development of new animal health technologies.
Companies in early to mid-stage development from 11 states, Belgium and Japan presented to animal health company executives, venture capital funds and investment firms Wednesday.
After applying for a presenting spot at the event earlier this year, companies were paired with a coach to help them prepare a presentation for the full-day investment forum. This year’s even marked the fifth year of the forum which has helped up-and-coming companies access more than $90 million in funding.
The forum accepts applications from companies with revenue projections of $20 million within five to seven years. Chris Ragland, CEO of Animalytix LLC, who served on the selection committee, says the forum highlights smaller firms who are changing the animal health industry.
"Larger firms are best at commercializing existing technology, but smaller firms are increasingly important for driving innovation," Ragland said.
Following the presentations, Kim Young, vice president of bioscience development for the Kansas City Area Development Council, says the companies meet with potential investors and can spend between 12 and 15 months finalizing an agreement.
Young says the forum is an important aspect of the Kansas City Animal Health Corridor. The forum helps drive new technology into the industry and portrays Kansas City as the center of innovation in the animal health industry.
The sixth KC Animal Health Investment Forum is scheduled for August 25 and 26, 2014.
Presenting companies included:
- DS Pharma Animal Health Co., LTD – Osaka, Japan: drug delivery system for animals, http://animal.ds-pharma.co.jp
- Fetch Pharma – Bellevue, WA: canine biopharmaceutical product developer, www.fetchpharma.com
- KAVB Farm – Bend, OR: therapeutic gear for horses, www.idealequinegear.com
- Mobile Assay Inc. – Boulder, CO: diagnostic platform for animal health applications, www.mobileassay.com
- Napo Animal Health, Inc. – San Francisco, CA: product controlling diarrhea in animals, www.napopharma.com
- Okapi Sciences NV – Leuven, Belgium: antiviral drugs for companion animals and livestock, www.okapi-sciences.com
- Once Innovations – Plymouth, MN: lighting technologies for production animal facilities, www.onceteam.com
- PDX BioTech – Lexington, KY: detection strip for canine periodontal disease diagnosis, www.periodx.com
- PonyUp Technologies, Inc. – Dallas, TX: equine boot for biological data collection, www.ponyuptechnologies.com
- Prairie AquaTech – Brookings, SD: utilizes enzyme-producing fungus to develop protein replacement, www.prairieaquatech.com
- Prommune, Inc. – Omaha, NE: develops immune stimulant for animals
- VaxLiant, LLC – Lincoln, NE: develops animal vaccines
- Vital Herd, Inc. – Falmouth, ME: disease detector in cattle, www.vitalherd.com