Geof Smith, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVIM, North Carolina State University, details the most accurate methods for assessment of dehydration in calves are eyeball recession into the orbit and skin tent duration in the neck region, and that all other methods of assessment are inferior to these two methods (see "Saving winter calves").
Assess calf dehydration
- Rising calf prices warrant attention to fetal protection
- Dr. Lonnie King to keynote NIAA Antibiotic Symposium
- Attend AABP, win and Easi-Scan ultrasound system
- Feedyard inventories, placements shrink during August
- State veterinarians discuss key health threats at WSLHA meeting
- Five-year study compares organic and conventional dairies