Geof Smith, DVM, PhD, Dipl. ACVIM, North Carolina State University, details the most accurate methods for assessment of dehydration in calves are eyeball recession into the orbit and skin tent duration in the neck region, and that all other methods of assessment are inferior to these two methods (see "Saving winter calves").
Assess calf dehydration
- Feedyard inventories, placements shrink during August
- State veterinarians discuss key health threats at WSLHA meeting
- Five-year study compares organic and conventional dairies
- FAO urges support for animal disease monitoring
- GlobalVetLINK acquires proven veterinary diagnostic software
- NMC proceedings available to members