Animal scientist Jerry Lipsey, PhD, spent his career with breed associations and in academia. At this year’s Cattlemen’s College, he outlined some basic criteria for selecting replacement females that will contribute to productivity and profitability, saying the number-one indicator of profitability in a cow herd is stayability, or the fertile longevity of females.
What matters in heifer selection
- AABP elects new officers, board members
- Scholarship winners recognized during AABP Conference
- Dr. Mark Hardesty named 2014 Bovine Practitioner of the Year
- Amstutz live and silent auctions raise almost $60,000
- Merck Animal Health honors Dr. John Fetrow
- Dr. Bechtol enters Hall of Fame as the 2014 beef inductee