Animal scientist Jerry Lipsey, PhD, spent his career with breed associations and in academia. At this year’s Cattlemen’s College, he outlined some basic criteria for selecting replacement females that will contribute to productivity and profitability, saying the number-one indicator of profitability in a cow herd is stayability, or the fertile longevity of females.
What matters in heifer selection
- Dairy producers continue FARM animal care practice adoption
- Clarifide from Zoetis packs more information into latest version
- Miner Institute Vet's Corner: COWVAL and cow management
- Vesicular stomatitis outbreak: Impacts on livestock industry
- Tiny insect delays lucrative Australia-China cattle trade
- Reduce risk of subclinical hypocalcemia in transition dairy cows