Calves and heifers are the future of every dairy operation, and getting them off to a healthy start helps set up a lifetime of improved performance.
You can help your dairy producer clients assess and improve their calf and heifer programs by asking these types of questions:
* Is every newborn calf getting 4 quarts of clean, high-quality colostrum within 4 hours of birth?
* Are calves first receiving calf starter by 3 days to 7 days of age?
* Do calves receive 13 percent or more of milk solids in their daily nutrition?
* How often is fresh feed provided to calves?
* Is calf and heifer housing of adequate size and ventilation?
This practice tip is provided by Pfizer Animal Health.